|Location:||Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada|
Bijan Ahmadian, is a practical business and tax lawyer with experience across a variety of industries, including non-profits, tech, real-estate, food & beverage, and the arts. He has guided investors and businesses in their journey from the structuring and acquisition phases through to dispute resolution, operations, tax planning, and exits. He has been a regular speaker at the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver on estate planning, taxation, and new legislations.
Bijan completed his Engineering Physics, Master of Business Administration, and Law degrees at the University of British Columbia. He also completed a Master of Laws in Tax at Osgoode Hall.
While at UBC, Bijan served on the University Senate, the Board of Governors, and as the president of the Alma Mater Society (AMS). Under Bijan’s leadership at AMS, the Society eliminated its structural deficit while operating with a budget of $31m and employing 600+ staff. Bijan also led the negotiation and conclusion of an agreement with UBC for building a $107m student space, now known as the Nest. Bijan has since opened and sold multiple businesses including a tech start-up and a liquor-primary establishment in Vancouver.
While at work, Bijan helps structure business deals with a forward-looking approach, bringing into consideration factors such as taxes, family matters, succession planning, regulatory compliance, dispute resolution, and exit strategies.
During his spare time, Bijan likes to perform on the stage. He danced for the Vancouver Pars National Ballet for several years, and frequently performs at Persian New Year fundraisers. He is also known for his work as the Executive Producer of the popular parody music video UBC LipDub.
Bijan is married to Renya Ahmadian, and they have a son.
Representative Commercial Real-Estate Work
- Acted for the purchaser in structuring, due-diligence, and acquisition with financing of multi-tenanted large commercial/industrial property at $45.7m
- Acted for purchase in structuring, due-diligence, and acquisition with financing of under-development industrial property at $31m.
- Acted for the purchaser in structuring, due-diligence, and acquisition with financing of multi-tenanted large commercial shopping centre at $24.4m
- Acted for the developer in construction financing of $21m for developing approximately 16,000 sqft of mixed residential and commercial space
- Acted for the purchaser in structuring of a limited partnership, due-diligence, and acquisition with financing of multi-tenanted large commercial shopping centre at $20m
- Acted for the purchaser in structuring, due-diligence, and acquisition with financing of multi-tenanted shopping centre at $18.4m
- Acted for the purchaser in buyout of partnership interest and assignment of financing of large commercial land at $16.4m
- Acted for the purchaser in structuring of a limited partnership, due-diligence, and acquisition with financing of multi-tenanted large commercial shopping centre at $14m
Representative Tax Work
- Tax planning for non-resident purchaser acquiring $25m+ of commercial real estate in BC
- Objection to GST Re-Assessment of $700k+
- Appeal of Re-Assessment of BC Foreign Buyer Tax of $330k+
- Appeal of Re-Assessment of BC Speculation and Vacancy Tax of $100k+
- Appeal of Re-Assessment of Vancouver Empty Home Tax of $17k+
- Estate planning for high-net-worth clients and for professionals, including complex reorganizations through corporations, family trusts, and limited partnerships
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of British Columbia